Monday, May 1, 2017

Remembering Grandpa

This past Friday marked 2 years since my Grandpa passed. I knew I had wanted to make this necklace to remember him, but, you know, life gets in the way. This is a bullet shell from the salute for his Military Funeral Honors for serving in World War II. My original idea was to "etch" a design onto it, but I found it was really difficult to draw or stamp a design on something cylinder shaped that I was happy with. I do have another shell, so maybe I will try again in the future. Since I delayed so long already, I was eager to have something completed quickly.
 I ended up taking a piece of filigree and bending it to fit around the bullet. Then I had to drill a hole in the bottom so that I could feed wire through it to hold the "tassel" I made. The tassel is composed of mixed metals and rhinestone strands of various lengths. I also had to drill a few holes in the top so that I could wire a bail to for the chain to go through.
 It's a longer length necklace so it's easy to go over the head and wear with just about anything. I really love how it turned out.
 Grandpa, you are missed every day. My life would not have been the same without you. You were there for me in more ways than you will ever know. I cherish every memory. I know you are looking over me every day!

No comments: